CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 22, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Mmmm...So comforting this soup is.  I kind of make it up as I go, so I'll estimate the best I can.


Posted by Anjanette, Inspired by my sister-in-law Christy.


Ingredients:
2 Cups cooked chicken, cut into small chunks (I use left-over rotisserie)
1 32 oz. box of chicken broth
4 cups water
2 boillion cubes (chicken)
1/2 onion chopped
1 can pinto beans (you can do more, but that's all my hubby will tolerate)
1 can whole kernel corn, or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 can of diced tomatoes (go organic if you can, or if you really like it spicy go Rotel)
Taco Seasoning (1 pkg, or 2-3 TB)
Dry Ranch powder (1 pkg or 3+ TB)
1 t. Cumin
1/2 bottle of salsa verde (I usually find what I want here not in the salsas, but up high on the shelf near the mexican food)
salt to taste (though many of the ingredients have salt, so be careful at first)

Toppings:
Must have: Tortilla chips crushed
Optional: Sour Cream, shredded cheese, green onions, hot sauce, jalapenos

Directions:

Put all of the ingredients (not the toppings) in a large soup pot.  If it isn't going to cook for a while (like an hour or more) then soften the onion first before putting in the pot.

After it is heated well, taste for proper seasoning.  This should have a robust flavor, and not taste like warm chicken broth.  So, if you have extra dry ranch seasoning, taco seasoning, then feel free to add more slowly.  You can also play around with some cumin and salt, but don't overdo it.

When ready to serve put in bowls, put crushed chips on top, and offer the other toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment