CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 6, 2009

East Texas Chili

Posted and changed slightly by Kelly B., found in Baylor College cookbook.


 2lbs. ground beef/buffalo/turkey (used buffalo, very healthy and tasty)
2 onions, chopped
2 large minced garlic cloves
1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp cumin
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (we put the whole things in and it was perfect for us, but too spicy for the kids for sure)
1 envelope chili seasoning mix (I used Williams Original Chili Seasoning on sale from Reasors and loved it)
1/2 to 1 tsp pepper
salt to taste
2-3 TBS cornmeal
1 can beans on choice (I used Pinto and drained them)
 
*I also added 1 green bell pepper chopped and a couple tomatoes chopped as well. (could use a couple of canned diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste).
 
I put the buffalo, onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauteed them until the meat was brown, then I put it and all the other ingredients into the crock pot to cook all day, you don't have to do that, but it is best when cooked for a long time, so baby that's what we are doing!

1 comment:

  1. Last time I made this, since I'm on a pumpkin kick and had extra from a fresh one I baked, I put about 1/2 to 1 cup of pureed pumpkin in the chili and a bit of nutmeg. Nobody noticed the sneaky addition, but there wasn't a drop of chili left in the crockpot. Also, Joe likes "Wolf" brand chili (gag!) and I looked to see what makes it unique on the label, and it's oatmeal. So, I ground some finely and put it in the chili and it make that slightly pasty consistency of Wolf (only much better!!).

    ReplyDelete